Drug Abuse Testing Market Description:
Drug abuse testing is conducted to detect the presence of illegal or prescription medications (taken for non-medical purpose) in the body. In drug testing, initially screening (qualitative) test is carried out by collecting urine, saliva, blood, and others. If the screening test is positive, the diagnostic laboratories carry out the confirmation test on the HPLC, LC-MS, GC-MS and others to quantify the presence of illegal or prescription medications. Drug abuse testing is carried out at schools, hospitals, transportation, mining, pre-employment, random testing, and post- accident testing, among others.
Drug Abuse Testing Market Size and Overview:
Global drug abuse testing market was valued at USD 2,161.6 Million in 2019 and projected to reach USD 2,818.3 Million. In terms of volume, globally around 229.2 Million drug abuse tests are carried out in 2019 and we anticipate it would reach 287.4 Million drug abuse tests by 2026. North America drug abuse testing market accounts to have highest market share followed by Europe region. In United States, about 124 Million of drug abuse tests are carried out in 2019 owing to increase in the awareness among the employers about drug abuse testing. Drug positivity rate in the USA drug abuse testing market is 6.6% in 2019. In North America, workforce testing accounts to have market share of 61%, followed by emergency room testing and pain management.
Europe drug abuse testing market was valued at USD 447.7 Million in 2018 and growing with a CAGR of 3.8% over the forecast period. In Europe, UK is the potential drug abuse testing market in comparison with other European countries. In 2018, more than 16 Million drug abuse tests are carried out in the UK market. In that, more than 15 Million are drug screening tests and one million are drug confirmation tests. Germany is another big market for drug testing in the Europe region, about 10 Million of drug abuse tests are carried out every year. In Europe, public and forensic laboratories usually carry out the drug abuse testing and workforce testing varies from country to country.
In terms of technology, Mass Spectrometry accounts to have USD 920.2 Million in 2018 followed by immunoassay and On-site testing. However, in terms of volume immunoassay and on-site testing dominates the drug abuse testing market.
Urine samples are mostly used in drug abuse testing market followed by saliva samples and blood samples. In 2019, urine drug screening value was accounted to USD 923.4 Million and saliva was USD 144.9 Million. Hair sample is preferred by the forensic laboratories and the sample may give for substances abused 90 days back. However, if the person has no hair or short hair, nail test is preferred by the forensic laboratories. Blood samples are used mainly in alcohol testing.
In 2016, Brazil enacted mandatory “wide window of detection” test for drugs of abuse, specifically hair testing. The Brazilian Federal Law No. 13.103 took effect on March 2, 2016 that mandates hair analysis drug testing for all professional truck, bus and large passenger van drivers renewing or obtaining licenses (Categories: C, D, E. In Brazil, truck drivers usually abuse drugs to awake during the driving. This law requires every brazil driver must pass the hair test to renew their license.
Impact of COVID -19 on Drug Abuse Testing Market
PBI anticipate that COVID-19 will have an impact on the drug abuse testing market in the 2020 as many European Nations, USA and other countries are in lockdown and that caused stalling of the economies across the globe. In addition, lab facilities and hospitals are crowded with COVID-19 tests and patients rather than the other tests. In 2020, PBI projects drug abuse testing market revenues will hit by 10-15% due to decrease in the workforce, supply chain issues, lack of laboratory resources & supplies and lockdowns across the nations. After lockdowns, PBI also anticipates that there would be in delay for the confirmation drug tests as the laboratories will be flooded with many numbers of tests after resuming operations from lockdowns.
Market Players Operating in Drug Abuse Testing Market :
Accuquik Test Kits, Advin Biotech, Alere, Inc. (Abbott), Alfa Scientific Designs, Inc., Andatech, ARK Diagnostics, Biopanda Reagents, Beckman Coulter, BTNX, Inc., Corolina Liquid Chemistries, Chromsystems, Inc., Co-Innovation Biotech Co., Ltd., Confirm Biosciences, Diagnostic Automation/Cortez Diagnostics Inc., Diasystems Scandinevia AB, Germaine Laboratories, Inc., Innovative Testing Solution, Immunostics, Inc., Medacx Ltd., Meridian Healthcare srl, Mossman Associates, Orasure Technologies, Inc., Pharmatech, Inc., Premier Biotech, Prospectol, Redwood Toxicology Laboratory, Roche Diagnostics, Sekisui Diagnostics, Siemens Healthineers, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. Confirm Biosciences, and Neogen
- Opiates (6-Acetlycodeine, Acetylfentanyl, 6-monoacetylmorphine = 6-MAM, Carfentanil, Codeine, Dihydrocodeine, Dihydromorphine, Fentanyl, Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone, Meperidine, Morphine, Morphine-3-glucuronide, Morphine-6-glucuronide, N-desmethyltapentadol, Norcodeine, Norfentanyl, Norhydrocodone, Normeperidine, Noroxycodone, Noroxymorphone, O-Desmethyltramadol, Oxycodone, Oxymorphone, PPX Dextropropoxyphene, Naloxone, Tapentadol, Tilidine, Tramadol)
- Amphetamines (Amphetamine, MBDB 3,4-Methylenedioxy-alpha-ethyl-N-Methylphenethylamine, MDA Methylenedioxyamphetamine, MDMA Methylenedioxymethamphetamine = Ecstasy, MDE = MDEA 3,4-Methylenedioxy-N-ethylamphetamine, Methamphetamine (Desoxyn), Paramethoxymetamphetamin = PMMA, Paramethoxyamphetamin = PMA, Femproporex, Amphepramone)
- Alcohol Abuse (ETG Ethyl glucuronide, ETS Ethyl sulfate)
- Cannabis (11-nor-9-carboxy-delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol = THC-COOH, Cannabidiol, 9‑carboxy‑11‑nor‑Δ8 THC, 9‑carboxy‑11‑nor‑Δ9 THC glucuronide, Δ9-THC, 11-OH-Δ9-THC (THC-OH)
- Cocaine (Cocaethylene, Cocaine, Ecgonine, Benzoylecgonine)
- Benzodiazepines (3-hydroxyflubromazepam, 7-aminoflunitrazepam, 7-aminoclonazepam, 7-aminonitrazepam, Alpha hydroxyalprazolam, Alpha hydroxymidazolam, Alpha hydroxytriazolam, Alprazolam, Bentazepam, Bromazepam, Chlordiazepoxide, Citalopram, Clonazepam, Clonazolam, Clorazepate, Demoxepam, Desalkylflurazepam = Norazepam, Deschloroetizolam = Etizolam-2, Diazepam, Diclazepam (Ro5-3448) = Chlorazepam, Estazolam = desmethylalprazolam, Etizolam, Flubromazepam, Flubromazolam, Flunitrazepam, Flurazepam, Hydroxyethylfluorazepam, Lorazepam, Lorazepam glucuronide, Lormetazepam, Meclonazepam, Midazolam, N-desmethlychlordiazepoxid, Nifoxipam, Nitrazepam, Nordiazepam, Oxazepam, Oxazepam glucuronide, Phenazepam, Pyrazolam, Temazepam, Temazepam glucuronide, Triazolam, Zaleplon , Zolpidem, Zoplicone)
- Antidepressants (Amitriptyline, Clomipramine, Cyclobenzaprine, Desmethylclomipramine, Desmethyldoxepin, Desmethylsertraline, Despramine, Doxepin, Fluoxetine – Nor fluoxetine, Imipramine, Maprotiline, Mianserin, Norclomipramine, Norfluoxetine, Nortrimipramine, Nortriptyline, Paroxetine, Protriptyline, Sertraline, Trimipramine)
- Barbiturates (Amobarbital, Butalbital, Methohexital, Pentobarbital 2, Phenobarbital, Secbutabarbital, Secobarbital)
- Designer Drugs (Mephedrone, Methylone , MDPV = 3,4-Methylenedioxypyrovalerone, Ketamine, JWH-018 = 1-pentyl-3-(1-naphthoyl)indole metabolite)
- Heroin Substitution Panel (Buprenorphine, Buprenorphine-3-glucuronide, EDDP, Methadone, Norbuprenorphine, Norbuprenorphine-3-glucuronide)
- LSD Derivatives (Lysergic Acid Diethylamide (LSD) 80%, 2-Oxo-3-hydroxy-LSD)
- DAT report covers the detailed level analysis of the drug class in terms of volume (tests) and value (USD Million)
- Drug Abuse Testing Market report provides more than 10+ country-level analysis that includes quantitative and qualitative insights
- DAT market report covers an in-depth level of market dynamics that includes drivers, restraints, opportunities, and trends
- In the drug abuse testing market, we have identified the growth, mature, and low potential markets
- The report covers the pricing analysis of reagents by the technology and sample type
- DAT report covers more than 80+ analyte level sales and volume information by technology and sample type
- On-site Testing
- Mass Spectrometry
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Australia & New Zealand
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East and Africa (MEA)
- Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of MEA