Global Crohn’s Disease Treatment Market: Crohn’s disease belongs to a condition called inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) that causes inflammation and damage to the digestive tract. Crohn’s disease usually affects at the end of small intestine and beginning of colon, but inflammation may occur anywhere along the digestive tract. Crohn’s disease may be hereditary or develop due to the malfunctioning of the immune system. Currently there is no cure for crohn’s disease. However, there are many treatments to manage disease symptoms. Inflammation, ulcers, bowel obstruction, malnutrition, colon cancer, and anal fissures are some of the complications associated with the disease. Surgery and drug therapy are some of the treatment options available to treat Crohn’s disease. Some of the anti-inflammatory drugs used to treat crohn’s disease include, corticosteroids and oral 5-aminosalicylates.
Global Crohn’s Disease Treatment Market Outlook
The prime driver for global Crohn’s disease treatment market is increase in number of people being infected by the disease. In addition, increase in demand for biologics and high unmet needs within the anti-TNF refractory patient group that presents untapped market opportunities. Strong pipeline and novel mechanisms to treat Crohn’s disease are fueling the growth of global Crohn’s disease treatment market . However, patent expiry of the key drugs and high cost of treatment is expected to hamper the Crohn’s disease treatment market globally. High R&D investment for development of biological drugs and unknown etiology of the Crohn’s disease further hindering the market growth.
Global Crohn’s disease treatment market is segmented based on drug class, and distribution channel
Based on drug class, Crohn’s drugs market is segmented into
- Immune System Suppressants
- Anti-Inflammatory Drugs
- Monoclonal Antibodies
Based on distribution channel, Crohn’s drugs market is segmented into
- Hospital Pharmacy
- Retail Pharmacy
Global Crohn’s disease treatment market is expected to grow at a significant rate during the forecast period. Growth in biologics development unfolded the opportunities for the new market players as they are most commonly used in Crohn’s disease treatment. Market players are focusing on to develop new products that can treat Crohn’s disease. For instance, mongersen, is investigational therapy for the treatment of crohn’s disease, is being developed by Celgene Corporation in phase 3 clinical trials. Considering the foreseen factors Crohn’s disease treatment market is projected to have a lucrative opportunity for market players.
Geographically Crohn’s drugs market is divided into five key regions, i.e. North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America expected to contribute major share owing to increase in R&D activity and biologics approval to treat autoimmune disease. Furthermore, increase in prevalence and incidence of the Crohn’s disease are expected to drive the growth of the market. According to Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America 700,000 have crohn’s diseases in between 1992-2004, and 74% increase in doctor office visits due to crohn’s disease. Asia-Pacific region is expected to create significant growth opportunities for the market players owing to develop infrastructure, R&D activities related to biologics and increase in prevalence of Crohn’s disease in the region. Developing countries such as India and China expected to show the fastest growth owing to increase in R&D investment and healthcare expenditure in these countries
Some of the market players in Crohn’s drugs market are Allergan, Inc. (U.S.), AbbVie Inc., (U.S.), Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (Japan), Bayer AG (Switzerland), UCB S.A. (Belgium), Perrigo Company plc (Ireland), Pfizer Inc. (US), Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc. (US), and Ferring B.V. (Switzerland) to name a few
- In September 2016, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Janssen Biotech, Inc., STELARA (ustekinumab) to treat moderately to severely active Crohn’s disease in adults
- In March 2016, Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH and AbbVie collaborated to develop and commercialize BI 655066, monoclonal biologic antibody (in phase 3) for treating psoriasis. Companies also evaluating the potential of the drug in Crohn’s disease, psoriatic arthritis and asthma
- The report provides granular level information about the market size, regional market share and forecast from 2017-2023
- The report covers in-detail insights about the competitor’s overview, key findings and their key strategies
- The report outlines drivers, restraints, challenges, and trends that are currently faced by the industry
- The report tracks recent innovations, key developments and startup’s details that are working in the industry
- The report provides plethora of information about market entry strategies, regulatory framework and reimbursement scenario