Global Infectious Disease Therapeutics Market: Infectious diseases are caused by organisms, such as bacteria, virus, fungi or parasites. Many organisms live in our body but few of them cause diseases. These infectious diseases transmitted from one individual to other either by direct or indirect contact. The drugs used for the infectious diseases are antibiotics, antiviral, and antiparasitic, among others. Infectious disease therapeutics acts directly on organisms or helps body system to fight infections. Infectious diseases include HIV, malaria, tuberculosis, hepatitis, and influenza, among others.
Global Infectious Disease Therapeutics Market Outlook
Infectious disease therapeutics market is driven by the growing prevalence rates of infectious diseases, increased healthcare expenditure and increased funding of governments on prevention and management of infectious diseases. In addition, increased geriatric population and use of direct acting antiviral drugs are fuelling the growth of infectious diseases therapeutics market. However, patent expiry of many infectious disease drugs and increase number of generic alternatives hindering the market revenue of infectious disease therapeutics market.
Market players focusing on mergers, acquisitions and collaborations to increase revenue share in the market. For instance, in August 2016, Pfizer acquired AstraZeneca’s late-stage small molecule anti-infectives business for development and commercialization outside the U.S. In addition, market players investing on research and development to introduce new drugs and to strengthen their position in infectious disease therapeutics market. Some of the pipeline anti infectives include avycaz (ceftazidime and avibactam), bictegravir (Anti HIV), cabotegravir (Anti HIV). Patent expiry of blockbuster anti-infectives such as Tamiflu, cubicin and ambisome are expected to negatively effect the infectious disease therapeutics market.
Infectious disease therapeutics market segmented based on drug class, disease indication, and distribution channel
Based on drug class
Based on disease indication
Based on distribution channel
- Hospital Pharmacy
- Retail Pharmacy
Geographically market has been segmented into following regions viz. North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America dominates the infectious disease therapeutics market owing to high prevalence rates of infectious diseases and rise in ageing population. According to scientific data from Princeton University 2015, rising trend in consumption of anti-infectives has increased in BRICS nation. In the last few years, there was an increase in use of antibiotics in Asian countries like India and China and some parts of Africa. Factors such as rapidly developing healthcare infrastructure on the grounds of emerging medical tourism industry along with government initiative to boost biotechnology sector of the respective country are fuelling the growth of the infectious disease therapeutics market in Asia Pacific region.
Some of the players in infectious disease therapeutics market are GlaxoSmithKline Plc (U.K.), Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc. (U.S.), Merck & Co, Inc. (U.S.), Pfizer Inc. (U.S.), Novartis AG. (Switzerland), AbbVie Inc. (U.S.), Astellas Pharma Inc. (Japan), AstraZeneca (U.K.), Auritec Pharmaceuticals Inc. (U.S.), Bayer AG (Germany), Modified Polymer Components, Inc. (Bristol-Myers Squibb) (U.S.), Chimerix Inc. (U.S.), Eli Lilly and Company (U.S.), Isis Pharmaceuticals (U.S.), Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Corporation (Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma) (Japan), Sanofi S.A. (France) and Gilead Sciences (U.S.) to name a few.
- In July 2017, Gilead’s “vosevi” oral tablet was approved by U.S. FDA for treatment of adults with chronic hepatitis C virus
- In March 2015, U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved cresemba (isavuconazonium sulfate), a novel antifungal drug for treat adults with invasive aspergillosis and invasive mucormycosis, rare but serious infections
- In December 2014, Sanofi Pasteur announces FDA approval of fluzone intradermal quadrivalent (Influenza Vaccine) for adults.
- The report provides granular level information about the market size, regional market share and forecast from 2017-2023
- The report covers in-detail insights about the competitor’s overview, key findings and their key strategies
- The report outlines drivers, restraints, challenges, and trends that are currently faced by the industry
- The report tracks recent innovations, key developments and startup’s details that are working in the industry
- The report provides plethora of information about market entry strategies, regulatory framework and reimbursement scenario