Tardive Dyskinesia Treatment Market
Tardive dyskinesia is a movement disorder which develops with long duration compliance to antipsychotic drugs. This is characterised primarily by random movements of tongue, jaws, lips and different muscles sometimes even with fingers, toes and legs. In sever conditions of tardive dyskinesia patients may experience heaving breathing associated with trunk or hips or muscles swaying movements. It is a long-term cause of neuroleptic drugs which are more often prescribed for certain mental, neurological or GI disorders.
Growing prevalence of patients suffering from various neurological disorders is the major factor driving the market growth of TD treatment. For example, In 2017 April, Neurocrine Biosciences has published a report which stated that about 5lakhs people are suffering from TD in U.S. Tardive dyskinesia treatment market is anticipated to grow significantly during the forecast period owing to rise in geriatric population, busy and tense lifestyle, growing prescription of anti-psychotic drugs etc. The factors which are hampering the growth TD market is approval process of new treatment approaches by respective governments, delayed diagnosis of the disease and lack of awareness regarding the disease.
The tardive dyskinesia treatment market is classified on the basis of drug class, infection type distribution channel, and geography.
Based on drug class, the tardive dyskinesia treatment market is segmented into the following
- Beta blockers
- Vitamin E systemic
- VMAT2 inhibitors (vesicular monoamine transporter-2 inhibitors)
- Dopaminergic agents
Based on route of administration, the tardive dyskinesia treatment market is segmented into the following
Based on distribution channel, the tardive dyskinesia treatment market is segmented into the following
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
A variety of medicines are used to treat tardive dyskinesia such as clonidine etc. Botox injections can be given for minor TD. Vitamin B6, vitamin E and branched chain amino acids are helpful in minimizing the symptoms of tardive dyskinesia. Benzodiazepines therapy is the most effective therapy for tardive dyskinesia. However, the development of tolerance is restraining its growth in the market. Teva’s AUSTEDO was approved for the treatment of chorea associated with tardive dyskinesia. Austedo is likely to create competition for INGREZZA of Neurocrine Biosciences.
On the basis of Geographical regions, Global tardive dyskinesia treatment market is classified as into five key regions as Europe, Asia- Pacific, North America, Middle East & Africa and Latin America. North America is the dominating market in tardive dyskinesia owing to the development of new drugs, growing prevalence of tardive dyskinesia, rising investments on R&D investments. Europe and Asia Pacific are also expected to have significant growth rate due to the growing investments, rising awareness and rise in disposable income of the emerging countries.
Some of the players in global tardive dyskinesia treatment market are Biogen (U.S), Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (Israel), GlaxoSmithKline Plc.(U.K), Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc.(U.S), Pfizer Inc.(U.S), Neurocrine Biosciences, Inc.(U.S), Novartis AG(Switzerland), AstraZeneca (U.K), Bayer AG (Germany) and Sanofi (France)
- In 2017 April, Neurocrine Biosciences received U.S. FDA approval for its INGREZZA (valbenazine) for the treatment of tardive dyskinesia.
- In 2017 August, Teva Pharmaceuticals received U.S. FDA approval for its AUSTEDO for the treatment of tardive dyskinesia in adults
- The report provides granular level information about the market size, regional market share, and forecast from 2017-2023
- The report covers in-detail insights about the competitor’s overview, key findings, and their key strategies
- The report outlines drivers, restraints, challenges, and trends that are currently faced by the industry
- The report tracks recent innovations, key developments, and startup’s details that are working in the industry
- The report provides plethora of information about market entry strategies, regulatory framework, and reimbursement scenario