Oral Biofilm Therapeutics Market
Biofilms are microbial communities embedded within an extracellular matrix, forming a highly organized structure that causes many human infections. Oral cavity is an open growth system with an uninterrupted introduction and removal of microbes and their nutrients. Cells growing within a biofilm often exhibit altered phenotypes, such as increased antibiotic resistance. The stable structural properties and close proximity of the bacterial cells within the biofilm appears to be an excellent environment for horizontal gene transfer, which can lead to the spread of antibiotic resistance genes amongst the biofilm inhabitants. Oral biofilms are functionally and structurally organized polymicrobial communities that are incorporated in an extracellular matrix of exopolymers on mucosal and dental surfaces. These biofilms are found naturally in health, and provide benefits to the host. However, this relationship can break down, and disease can occur; disease is associated with a shift in the balance of the species within these biofilms. Currently, several universities and research institutes are engaged in oral biofilm therapeutics market.
- The Indiana University school of dentistry has been conducting oral biofilms research program with a goal of developing in vitro and in situ oral biofilms to understand their role in oral diseases etiology, including dental caries, and how the tridimensional structure and compositional changes of biofilms, in response to different environmental or treatment procedures, impacts on disease development.
- A study conducted by Tian Zhang on the treatment of oral biofilms by a D-Enantiomeric Peptide has stated that :
- DJK-5, which is a short D-enantiomeric, protease-resistant peptide with broad-spectrum anti-biofilm activity, was tested for its effect on oral multispecies biofilms.
- Peptide DJK-5 at 10 μg/mL effectively prevented the growth of these microbes in culture media in a time-dependent manner.
- In addition to the prevention of growth, peptide DJK-5 completely killed both Streptococcus mutans and Enterococcus faecalis suspended from biofilms after 30 minutes of incubation in liquid culture media. DJK-5 also led to the effective killing of microbes in plaque biofilm.
- The BioMed X Innovation Center, is focusing on the “Oral Biofilm Disruption (OBD)”
- The major aim of the group is to uncover novel methods to disrupt saliva derived, mixed-species, and potentially pathogenic bacterial biofilms from the oral cavity to reduce the incidence of dental caries
- The research is being conducted on the oral biofilms at various spatial resolutions by employing multidisciplinary approaches from fields such as microbial ecology, metabolomics and structural biology, with the final objective of discovering an array of novel small molecules that disrupt and inhibit pathogenic biofilms in the oral cavity
- In May 2017, American Academy of Periodontology (AAP) has announced recipient of first Sunstar Innovation Grant for focus on oral biofilm
- The Sunstar Innovation Grant will allow the team of clinicians and scientists to explore nisin’s effects on oral biofilm composition using both in vitro and in vivo model systems.
Key Features of the Oral Biofilm Therapeutics Market Report:
- The oral biofilm therapeutics market report covers exhaustive regional information, that includes North America (The USA and Canada), Europe (Germany, France, Italy, UK, Spain, Russia, Poland and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (Japan, China, India, Australia & New Zealand, ASEAN (Includes Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, and Others), South Korea, and Rest of Asia-Pacific), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, and Rest of Latin America), and Middle East and Africa (Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Countries, Israel, South Africa, and Rest of Middle East and Africa)
- The oral biofilm therapeutics market report provides granular level information about the market size, regional market share, and forecast 2024
- The report covers in-detail insights about the competitor’s overview, company share analysis, key market developments, and their key strategies
- The report outlines drivers, restraints, unmet needs, and trends that are currently affecting the market
- The report tracks recent innovations, key developments and startup’s details that are actively working in the market
- The report provides a plethora of information about market entry strategies, regulatory framework and reimbursement scenari0