Global Merkel Cell Carcinoma Treatment Market
Merkel cell carcinoma is an uncommon type of skin cancer and also known as neuroendocrine skin carcinoma or trabecular carcinoma. It occurs due to abnormal growth of Merkel cells. This cancer has grown and spreads rapidly beyond the skin. Merkel cells are the type of skin neuroendocrine cells as they share some features with hormone making and nerve cells. Merkel cells are found at the base of the epidermis, the top layer of the skin and are very close to nerve endings which helps us to sense touch and light.
Increasing cases of Merkel cell carcinoma and rising demand for immunotherapy treatment are major factors, expected to drive the growth of the market. Furthermore, growing investments in R&D, developing healthcare infrastructure, are the factors which are propelling the growth of Merkel cell carcinoma treatment market. However, lack of nursing care, adverse effects associated with chemo and immunotherapy drugs, high cost associated with the medicines, restricted adequacy of the medication and stringent regulatory framework are expected to hamper the growth of MCC treatment market.
The Merkel cell carcinoma treatment market is classified on the basis of drug class, infection type distribution channel, and geography.
Based on drugs, the Merkel cell carcinoma treatment market is segmented into the following
- Alkylating agents
- Topoisomerase inhibitors
- Combination Therapies
Based on distribution channel, the Merkel cell carcinoma treatment market is segmented into the following:
- Oncology research institutes
- Ambulatory surgical centres
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Rising prevalence of Merkel cell carcinoma is expected to create lucrative opportunities over the forecast period. According to National Cancer Database, every year around 1500 and 2500 new cases of Merkel cell carcinoma are reported in U.S and in European region respectively. The current adoptable treatment for MCC is typically a surgery however, chemotherapy and immunotherapy drugs are given to the patients in longer periods. The treatment for MCC are being challenged because of low attention towards the condition and its comparable appearance to the skin conditions. As per CDC, MCC has high mortality rate among all other skin cancers. The present social and financial status of MCC market are colossal and it is expected to have a lucrative growth during the forecast period.
On the basis of geographical regions, Merkel cell carcinoma treatment market is classified into five key regions as Europe, Asia- Pacific, North America, Middle East & Africa and Latin America. North America and Europe are expected to dominate the markets in global MCC treatment market by holding largest revenue share owing to the increased prevalence of MCC, increasing treatment options, growing pool of population and increased advancements in technologies, increase in initiation of medical campaigns, government and non-government initiations. Asia Pacific region and Latin America region is anticipated to have a lucrative growth rate during the forecast period due to increasing population pool, developing economic conditions coupled with rising prevalence of MCC.
Some of the players in Merkel cell carcinoma treatment market Pfizer (U.S), Amgen Inc.(U.S), Merck & Co. Inc.(U.S), BeiGene Ltd.(China), OncoSec Medical Inc.(U.S) Millennium Pharmaceuticals Inc.(U.S), Oncovir Inc. (U.S), Novartis AG (Switzerland), NantKwest Inc. (U.S), to name some few.
- In 2017 September, Merck KGaA and Pfizer Inc. received market authorization from European Commission for its BAVENCIO (avelumab) for the treatment of metastatic Merkel cell carcinoma.
- In March 2017, Merck KGaA and Pfizer Inc. received U.S.FDA approval for its BAVENCIO (avelumab) for the treatment of metastatic Merkel cell carcinoma.
- The report provides granular level information about the market size, regional market share, and forecast from 2017-2023
- The report covers in-detail insights about the competitor’s overview, key findings, and their key strategies
- The report outlines drivers, restraints, challenges, and trends that are currently faced by the industry
- The report tracks recent innovations, key developments, and startup’s details that are working in the industry
- The report provides plethora of information about market entry strategies, regulatory framework, and reimbursement scenario